After struggling for weeks to reach a compromise, the student senate passed a resolution Monday evening to increase funding for student clubs and organizations by approximately $30,000. The new resolution will cut three percent of the budget for Student Union organizations — including the class councils and the Student Union Board — and reallocate it to other student clubs.Student body president Gates McGavick and vice president Corey Gayheart, both seniors who promised to increase club funding during their campaign last year, were instrumental in pushing the resolution through the senate.“This is a really important day for clubs and student organizations,” McGavick said in a comment after the meeting. “We reached a compromise that worked for everyone, and I know I can speak for Corey in saying that we’re really happy to deliver on a campaign promise of ours to give clubs more money.”The student senate has been discussing the issue of club funding for over a month. Many student leaders have argued in previous meetings that student organizations are strapped for funds.Diversity chair, senior Alyssa Ngo, previously told the senate that diversity clubs, such as the Asian American Association, are struggling financially. Ngo argued that increased club funding would help support these clubs’ diversity initiatives on campus.Six weeks prior, the senate voted on — and rejected — the same resolution. McGavick and Gayheart negotiated for weeks with the resolution’s opponents and reached a final agreement for Monday’s meeting.Opponents originally had two main concerns: financial transparency and budget cuts. McGavick and Gayheart developed two new resolutions to resolve these concerns.The first resolution addressed the financial transparency of the Club Coordination Council (CCC), the student organization responsible for allocating annual funding to student clubs. The CCC oversees a budget of about $340,000, which it distributes between the more than 400 student organizations on campus, according to CCC sophomore vice-president elect Patrick Harris.Senators, notably the representative from Welsh Family Hall, junior Lindsay McCray, originally opposed the funding reallocation because they thought that the CCC lacked financial transparency.McCray, along with Gayheart and CCC president, senior Samantha Scaglione, co-authored a resolution to increase the CCC’s transparency, which passed unanimously during Monday’s meeting. “CCC took that [feedback] to heart … And we decided that we want to be more transparent directly to the senate,” Harris said.Although student government leaders easily resolved the concerns about the CCC’s transparency, they clashed over the second legislative compromise, which addressed the concerns of Student Union representatives.Student Union leaders had previously opposed the reallocation because they worried that the budget cuts could jeopardize their mission. In response, they crafted a resolution that revised the budgetary process.The Financial Management Board, which has nine voting members — including all four class council treasurers — votes on the budgets for student clubs. The FMB could traditionally pass this budget with a simple majority of five voting members.Class council presidents were worried that their voices could be ignored by a simple majority vote, so they proposed an amendment requiring that the budget pass with a two-thirds majority.“[The amendment] ensures that the three percent that gets transferred over will be more equitable, with more people being on board,” Michael Conlon, president of the Senior Class Council, said.But other student government leaders were skeptical of this change, which would empower the four class council leaders to veto a budget they dislike. Critics argued that this change could potentially allow class council leaders to derail the budgetary process.“The system as it currently stands is not broken. … Why would we change something that’s not broken to implement something that could go wrong?” Harris said.McGavick and Gayheart, however, dismissed these concerns.“This is a very minor procedural edit. … It’s what is the missing piece in the opportunity that we all have to give clubs thousands of more dollars,” McGavick said.Ultimately, the second resolution passed, causing Student Union leaders to fully support the budget reallocation. The increased club funding marks a major legislative victory for McGavick and Gayheart, whose term ends on April 1.“Never doubt your ability to impact someone’s experience here,” Gayheart said.Tags: Club Coordination Council, club funding, Notre Dame Student Senate, Senate
Duterte, in his fifth State of the Nation Address on Monday, urged the duopoly of PLDT and Globe Telecom to improve their services or face “closure” or “expropriation.” “This is the time to bring out the best in all of us should be heeded by every Filipino,” he said./PN Technology and connectivity, according to Lacson, would be among the controlling and dominant elements under the “new normal.”“The Philippines is among the lowest when it comes to mobile and fixed line internet speed. Fast and reliable internet connection should be the norm rather than an expensive option,” Lacson pointed out.The governor underscored the importance of the Alternative Learning System that includes online learning for the students in the coming school year. Duterte said the telco giants should find ways to infuse more capital if money is the problem. “We all need these interventions to prevent the collapse of the economy,” Lacson said. He also agreed with the President’s directives to Technical Education and Skills Development Authority to retool overseas Filipino OFWS and for the government’s financial institutions to assist displaced migrant workers.“The President’s request of for the swift passage of Bayanihan 2 is truly pivotal given the health and economic crisis being faced by the nation,” the governor pointed out.Lacson also urged Negrenses to follow the President’s call for solidarity. BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGABACOLOD City – Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson of Negros Occidental welcomed President Rodrigo Duterte’s call for telecom companies to improve their services.
It was always going to be a big ask for Wigan to lift themselves for such a huge game just 72 hours after their glorious Wembley victory over Manchester City, where anything other than all three points would have seen them join Reading and QPR in the npower Championship, and so it proved. “I know from the outside you could see it was possible but I never thought for a second it would happen,” said the Spaniard, who has been linked with the Everton job following the announcement of David Moyes’ switch to Manchester United. “I was confident this team could win the last two games. It is difficult to describe the feelings. It comes as a shock.” Roberto Martinez never really believed FA Cup winners Wigan would be relegated until the Latics’ eight-year stay in the Barclays Premier League finally came to an end with a 4-1 defeat at Arsenal. Press Association Lukas Podolski nodded the Gunners in front on 11 minutes, but Shaun Maloney gave the visitors hope when he crashed home a free-kick on the stroke of half-time. However, three goals in the space of 10 minutes just after the hour from Theo Walcott, Podolski and Aaron Ramsey meant there was to be no fairytale ending for Martinez’s men, despite another brave crack at the great escape. Martinez added: “I don’t think you get many managers saying they are proud of their players when they get relegated, but we don’t deserve to be in the bottom three. You will never see a better group of players than these in the way they play and represent the club. “The FA Cup is an achievement we will never lose as a club. It is our first silverware, but it is a real shame it happens in the same season as relegation. You don’t normally get teams good enough to win the cup going down – that is why it is difficult to take. “When you walk into the dressing room after this match it is heartbreaking. But we haven’t been good enough in the defensive area and that is why we have been relegated.” Martinez, however, insisted the Lancashire club, whose rise to the top flight was bankrolled by chairman Dave Whelan, would be in a strong position to make a swift return. “It is not one of those moments to be too sad – it is the opposite,” he said. “To have eight years at this level is incredible. We have beaten every top club and financially we are in a strong position. As a Wigan fan it is a time to be proud of what we have achieved.”
DreamHack has announced four side competitive events that will run at the same time as its main DreamHack Summer 2017 tournament. The four tournaments include an all-female tournament, a junior tournament for those under 18, a free-for-all tournament for and perhaps the most interesting, the ‘senior’ tournament.Image courtesy of DreamHackIn an environment in which most players are in their early to mid twenties, save for Wiktor “TaZ” Wojtas, having a tournament for players aged 30 and over is certainly a unique concept. This and the other three tournaments will be BYOC (Bring your Own Computer) and will run from June 17-20 at Elmia Fair in Jönköping, Sweden like the main tournament. According to Yahoo Esports, the event “holds the Guinness World Record for highest number of computers in a LAN.”This tournament has the chance of turning into something like CS Reunion @ Inferno Online, a tournament run by DreamHack last April for ex-1.6 legends to show their skill once more. Players like Emil “HeatoN” Christensen of the classic SK 2003 squad would definitely be fan favourites but there are other legends who could make an appearance too. One player who immediately comes to mind is the Brazilian Raphael “cogu” Camargo who was considered to be the best Brazilian CS player of all time. Someone else who could make an appearance is popular streamer Anomaly’s dad Papanomaly, who is often seen in videos either assisting with case unboxings or actually playing the game.The prize winnings for the side tournaments are as follows:1st place – 10,000 SEK2nd place – 5,000 SEK3rd place – Product prizesEsports Insider says: It is very considerate for DreamHack to create tournaments for people who might not have otherwise competed. It will definitely be a breath of fresh air from seeing the same teams compete against each other. Perhaps the Junior tournament will show us some great up-and-coming legends that might get a chance at their own pro contract.