West Indies cricket, 50 years ago

first_img TITLE ROBBED The Shell Shield, the Red Stripe Cup, or the President’s Cup, whatever it was called, it served West Indies well, despite its many changes in scoring, which led to the result of the match between the Combined Islands and Trinidad and Tobago in 1975, according to the rules of the completion, ending as a draw instead of a tie, and robbed the Combined Islands of the title. There is also its latest change to a franchise system, with, for example, Jamaica, Barbados, and Trinidad and Tobago, now known as the Jamaica Scorpions, the Barbados Pride, and the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force. The late Allan Rae, a former president of the West Indies Board, said on the 21st birthday of the regional competition, “One only has to compare the performances of the West Indies team before Shell’s involvement with the performances since that involvement to appreciate the force for good that the Shell Shield has been on our cricket.” The regional competition started as the Shell Shield, it lasted until 1987 before it changed several times to include the Red Stripe Cup, the President’s Cup, the Busta Cup, and the Carib Beer Series to the present Professional Cricket League of the West Indies. It started with Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, and the Combined Islands before teams from faraway places like England and Kenya were invited to participate. The regional competition, which was won by Barbados on 12 occasions in its time as the Shell Shield, was rated by many as the best first-class cricket competition in the world because of the quality of its players and the level of its competition, especially in its early years. The first regional match, known as the Shell Shield, was played between the Combined Islands and Jamaica on January 27, 28, 29, and 31 at the Antigua Recreation Ground in St Johns, Antigua, and it was a draw. It was a match in which opening batsman Teddy Griffith, playing for Jamaica, made 150 runs, the first century in the competition, opening batsman Easton McMorris scored 134 in the second innings, the first of three successive centuries, including 127 not out, out of 236 all out against Trinidad and Tobago, and 190 versus Lance Gibbs and Edwin Mohammed of Guyana. Over the years, there have been huge scores, such as the Leeward Islands 718 for seven against Kenya in Antigua in 2004, Guyana’s 641 for five declared versus Barbados in 1967, and the Leeward Islands 613 for five declared against Trinidad and Tobago at the ARG n 1984, and low scores, such as Guyana’s 41 versus Jamaica at Sabina Park in 1986, the Combined Islands 53 against Barbados at Warner Park in 1974, and 54 by the Windward Islands at Arnos Vale in 1968. Fifty years ago, January 27, 1966, West Indies cricket came of age, fully of age. It was the first day of a regional competition, a competition that provided regular, though limited, competition of four matches per team on an annual basis, and a competition that undoubtedly lifted West Indies cricket into the company of cricket in England, Australia, South Africa, and India. Half a century ago, the Shell Shield was founded, and it signalled the start of the rise of West Indies cricket to the top. The West Indies started playing Test cricket in 1928, they made their presence felt for the first time in 1950 by beating England in England, in 1966, they had their first official and regular tournament, and by the 1980s, the West Indies were the undisputed champions of the world. Today, they are nowhere to be found, not anywhere near the top. In fact, near to the bottom of the ladder. Fifty years ago, following the illustrious careers of players like Frank Worrell, Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott, Sonny Ramadhin, and Alfred Valentine, the Shell Shield arrived in time to complement those of great players like Garry Sobers, Rohan Kanhai, Seymour Nurse, Basil Butcher, Conrad Hunte, Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith, Lance Gibbs, Jackie Hendriks, and Deryck Murray. And it stayed around to herald the coming of champions such as Lawrence Rowe, Alvin Kallicharran, Viv Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Bernard Julien, Keith Boyce, Richie Richardson, Malcolm Marshall, and Jeffrey Dujon, to name a few. SHELL SHIELDlast_img read more


first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SATURDAY 5-1-2013Old Orchard Inn Saturday Division OneGweedore Celtic Reserves P v P Glencar Celtic Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoCranford United Reserves P v P Downtown UnitedDowntown Cup Group AErne Wanderers 5 Milford United Reserves 1Erne Wanderers started the new year off with a comfortable win against Milford on Friday night under the lights in the Lakeside. Played in good conditions Erne started the better and took the lead in the fifth minute when they won a free kick on the right on the half way line and with Milford asleep they didnt react to the quick free played down the wing for Mark Dorrian to run into acres of space and he dribbled into the box and pulled the ball back to the edge of the area for Mulligan to run onto and pass the ball into the bottom corner for his 8th goal of the season. Wanderers were dominating all areas at this stage and creating chances at will but didn’t add to the score sheet until the half hour mark when Ryan O’ Brien returned a ball into the box after a corner was cleared to his feet. It looked harmless enough but when the ball bounced in front of the keeper the spin took it past the keeper into the net for a freak goal. The 3rd came at half time when Sticky Ward beat his man on the left side of the area and his cross come shot reached the back post where right back Micheal Dolan slid in to riffle into roof of the net. Milford made a change at half time and started the better of the two teams but did’nt create any real chances and the home team extended thier lead on the hour mark when Sticky Ward fired home from 6 yards. Milford got on the score sheet on 70 minutes when they got a penalty and it was neatly tucked into the corner under keeper O’ Brien’s dive. Wanderes got the fifth on 80 minutes when Cassidy’s long clearence caught the away defence napping and Ward raced clear to round the keeper and tap into empty net for his 7th of the season. A good team effort from the homster’s with Ward, Spratt and Cassidy the pick of the bunch and a good tem effort from Milford. Ref John McGlanagheyGlenea United Reserves 9 Tullyvinney Rovers 0Glenea got their Downtown Cup campaign underway with a comfortable win over Tullyvinney. In wintry conditions Glenea played with the aid of the wind in the 1st half and pressed for the opening goal. The home side were rewarded on 20 minutes when Lee O’ Brien was on hand to tap home after the away keeper failed to deal with a cross. Glenea extended their lead on 24 minutes when Sean Maguire released Michael Mc Clafferty and he slotted the ball home. Glenea got their third on 32 minutes when Martin Maguire converted Martin Doohan’s cross. Glenea’s fourth came on the break, with Tommy Rodgers running from the halfway line to slot the ball home. Any hope the Tullyvinney had of getting back into the game was reduced when Padraig McGee converted a penalty for Glenea on 50 minutes. Glenea added further goals from Martin Maguire, Martin Ferry and two more from Lee O’ Brien to complete his hat-trick. Best for Glena were Lee O’ Brien, Michael Mc Clafferty & Conor McGee, while it was team effort from Tullyvinney Downtown Cup Group BKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 2 Donegal Town Reserves 2Kilmacrennan were held at home on Saturday by a resilient Donegal Town side in wet, mucky conditions at Lurgy Park. Kilmacrennan started the game brightly and had a number of half chances before their reward came in the 28th minute when Liam McBride put JJ Fleming through on goal with a nice through ball and JJ made no mistake in dispatching past the goalkeeper. The home side could have been two goals up 10 minutes later after some great work from Sean O’ Donnell down the left wing, but his perfect cross bounced up in front of Cathal Gallagher when it looked almost harder to miss. Kilmacrennan started the second half well too as the pitch started to show bad signs of wear but they got their second 4 minutes into the second half when Cathal Gallagher pounced on a mistake in the Donegal Town defence to place the ball into the empty net to give the hosts a two goal lead. Donegal Town pressed hard for a way back into the game and got one on the hour mark after Ted Bustard was slid through and he beat the keeper in a one on one situation. The Donegal forward was on the mark again 15 minutes later, capitalising on a mistake in the Kilmacrennan defence to score his second. Both teams pressed hard towards the end and either could have won it only for missed chances. A draw was a fair result in the end.Downtown Cup Group C Deele Harps P v P Gweedore United ReservesGlenree United Reserves 2 Ramelton Mariners 4On a wet afternoon in Glenree Park both teams started their cup campaigns and it was the away team that started well when a free kick was whipped in by David Fisher only to be missed by everyone to nestle in the corner of the net. The home side got themselves back into the game in the 20th minute when Kevin Doherty pressurised the goalie and right back into a mistake which lead to the equaliser. Glenree took the lead in the 30th minute when another free kick lead to a goal with Vinny Mc Laughlin flicking on a header which curled nicely into the corner of the goals. Glenree went in at half time deserved leaders after a very good first half performance. The away team knew they had a fight on their hands if they wanted to take anything from the game and they started very brightly in the second half but still were not creating any clear cut chances due to the Glenree defence. Indeed the homeside should have had the game sown up after they missed some glorious chances. In the end these chances cost them the game as with eight minutes to go for the first time in the game there was a mix up in the home sides defence which lead to the equaliser from Barry Mooney. The homeside never really recovered from that blow and conceded the third moments later when Cathal Mc Gettigan finished well and an easy fourth was tapped in for the away side. It was a very flattering scoreline for the visitors as they were well contained throughout most of the game until the bitter end and were given a very tough match. The homeside must now move on and take the positives from their performance. A team performance was put in by both teams but Ian Mc Elhinney stood out as man of the match with a great performance. Referee: John FerryFAI Junior CupRichmond FC 3 Keadue Rovers 2NO REPORTSUNDAY 6-1-2013Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionMilford United 0 Rathmullan Celtic 3Rathmullan came out on top in this highly anticipated local derby game following the Christmas break. Rathmullan started brightly creating some very good crosses which were dealt with by the Milford defence and keeper Caolan Mc Gettigan. Rathmullan’s best chance came when left back Paddy Sheridan’s rocket of a shot from 25 yards was tipped over by Caolan Mc Gettigan. The best chance of the half fell to Peter Doherty who received the ball from Ciaran McGinley but his shot was saved by the feet of Ian Strain in the Rathmullan goal. Rathmullan made the break through on 21 minutes, on the counter attack, when Oisin McMenamin broke from the half way line to finish well. Again ten minutes later from another counter attack Eamon Sheridan held the ball up and put a perfect pass into the path of McMenamin who again finished well. Paddy Sheridan scored a good goal breaking from left back in the injury time to secure victory. Rathmullan were deserved winners on the day showing great hungry to win, with fitness and confidence. Best for Rathmullan were Paddy Sheridan and Oisin McMenamin. Best for Milford were Paddy Peoples and Mark Flood. Referee: Kevin LogueKilmacrennan Celtic 5 Dunkineely Celtic 1Kilmac started the new year with a fine win over Dunkineely. The hosts started at a blistering pace and their first shot on goal came from Eddie Doherty who struck a thunderous shot off the woodwork. Ryan Shiels forced the Dunkineely keeper into a fine save moments later. The breakthrough came on fifteen minutes when Ryan Shiels rose highest and headed home a Michael McLaughlin corner. With twenty minutes played Doherty shot from the edge of the box and forced the Dunkineely into another smart save however this time Caolan Kelly was on hand to tap in from close range. Dunkineely played their way into the game and scored with five minutes remaining in the first half through Martin Cunningham. Kilmac had time for another goal however, when Aidan Friel made a fantastic run down the right wing to cross for Kelly to collect his second of the game.The second half was a different story as Dunkineely held the majority of possession. The Kilmac defence held strong and caught the visitors on the break when Michael McLaughlin found himself one on one and coolly finished. Kelly collected his hatrick when Eddie Doherty found the striker unmarked to ensure the three points for Kilmac.Best for Kilmac were Ryan Sheils and Caolan Kelly. Team effort from Dunkineely.Referee: Paddy DuffyGweedore Celtic 0 Lifford Celtic 1A blustering crosswind didn’t help matters but Lifford will be satisfied to come away with three points from An Screaban on Sunday afternoon. The visitors controlled the early exchanges but a few long range shots didn’t trouble Michael Mc Kelvey the home keeper.After fifteen minutes Thomas Diver found himself clear but the Lifford keeper parried away his shot. The only goal arrived on forty minutes .A mix up in the home defence allowed Jude Patton to nip in and calmly finished from close rangeThe game became rather scrappy in the second half and despite the best efforts of both teams, neither created any clear cut chances.Best for Gweedore Damien O’Sullivan and Cathal CampbellA team effort by LiffordReferee: Joe Mc HughCastlefin Celtic P v P Glenea UnitedWatson Hire Division OneArranmore United 0 Curragh Athletic 4Curragh claimed all 3 points on their visit to the Island scoring 4 times in the process. The goals came in the 45th 60th 70th and 82nd minutes with the following scorers Ryan Carlin, Shane Barclay, Gareth Gallagher and Dan O’ Brien. The first was scored by Shane Barclay, finishing a right wing cross at the end of 1st half then Ryan Carlin toe poked an effort home from inside the area following a long clearance. The third and fourth were from corners and quick breaks both times the visitors finishing well. Arranmore threatened on occasion going close from a free but were denied. Emmett Mc Nulty best for Curragh and team performance from Arranmore. Referee: Brian O’ Kane had an excellent game!Ballybofey United 1 Raphoe Town 1In a lacklustre affair played at the Finn Valley complex in Stranorlar Ballybofey United and Raphoe Town shared the points. Raphoe squandered an opportunity to take a first half lead when they failed from the penalty spot. Just as the half time whistle seemed imminent Alan Patton crashed home a blistering shot from forty yards to put the home side ahead. Ten minutes after the re-start Raphoe pulled themselves level but again were the authors of their own misfortune as they missed from the spot for the second time in the match and had to settle for a share of the spoils. Referee: Ed MooreDonegal Town 3 Drumoghill FC 1Donegal Town gained all three points from this evenly contested game at the Hospital Field. The best early chance came when Conor Mc Monagle slid the ball across to Benny Byrne, from the right hand side, but Byrne failed to convert knocking the ball over the bar. Drumoghill then should have taken the lead when Richard Moore’s effort hit the bottom of the post after he created space well inside the area. The opening goal came shortly afterwards when Mc Monagle produced a moment of real quality as he rose inside the area to fire home with a bicycle kick. Drumoghill got right back into it before the break when a mix up in the Donegal defence allowed Moore to race through and finish well to send the teams in level at the break. Drumoghill started brightly after the break but as the half wore on the home side grew increasingly into the game. Benny Byrne restored Donegal’s lead when he headed home powerfully from a Stuart Johnston cross. The three points were sealed in the dying moments when David Harron spun his defender on the edge of the area and fired in a low cross which was converted by Declan Brown at the back post. Best for Donegal were Mc Monagle and Byrne. Team performance from Drumoghill.Cranford United 1 Eany Celtic 1Due to the poor weather conditions the game was switched to tri-a-loughin Fanad and both teams took some time to settle into any real patternof play. On ten minutes a long ball from the goalkeeper was firedgoalwards by Neil Lloyd forcing Enda McHugh into a great save butBarry Rose forced home the rebound. Cranford quickly got back on terms when aPhilip Buchanan cross was tucked in by Danny McBride. The game ebbedand flowed from then on with not many chances at either end. Cranfordgot on top early in the second half when Eany were reduced to ten menwith half an hour remaining. They pilled on the pressure for theremainder of the match with half chances falling to Buchanan, ChrisCarr and Arthur Lynch but all were unable to find a winner. Chris Duffyand Michael McGinley were Cranford’s best with Declan Boyle and NeilLloyd the standout men for Eany. Referee: Mick Lagan.CT Ball Division TwoKerrykeel ’71 F.C. 3 Convoy Arsenal 2Kerrykeel ‘71 grabbed all three points in their first game of 2013 but they made hard work of it as it was simply a game of two halves with Kerrykeel ‘71 bossing the first half and Convoy Arsenal the second. The ‘71 went in front on thirteen minutes when Niall Doherty finished well after great work from Cathal Martin. Kerrykeel were playing great attacking football and made it two nil on thirty eight minutes when Miley Mc Bride cooly slotted home from six yards after a great one two with Cathal Martin. At half-time Kerrykeel probably thought the game was over but Convoy had other ideas with a great second half display of football. They got one back on fifty-six minutes when Eamonn Kelly swung in a great ball and Barney Mc Bride could only head into his own goal. Convoy kept pushing and got level on seventy two minutes after a Kerrykeel attack broke down and Paddy Melaugh broke clear and beat the advancing keeper. Convoy looked like the team that was going to lift all three points as they kept Kerrykeel on the back foot and Sean Friel making a few great stops. In the final seconds Kerrykeel launched a ball forward and Seimie Friel brought it down with a great touch driving into the box and as he was about to unleash his strike he was pulled down by the Convoy defender. With referee Dennis O’Donnell pointing to the spot, Mark “Sparky” Friel stepped up to convert from the penalty spot. Convoy didn’t deserve to loose the game, however the ‘71 grabbed all three points.Best for Kerrykeel 71: Cathal Martin, Mylie Mc Bride and Niall DohertyTeam Performance from Convoy ArsenalReferee: Dennis O’DonnellCopany Rovers 4 Dunlewy Celtic 0An emotionally inspired Copany outfit produced a four-star performance to beat promotion chasing Dunlewey by 4 goals to nil at Killowen Park.Darragh Brogan opened Copany’s account on 12 minutes when he latched onto a quickly taken throw from Marty McGrath and fired home from the edge of the box.Copany doubled their advantage on 28 minutes when Marty McGrath fired home from close range after the ‘keeper could only palm Darragh Brogans effort into his path.On 33 minutes David Graham broke the offside trap and drove the ball low past the ‘keeper to make it 3 for the hosts.Darragh Brogan wrapped up an excellent half when he broke the offside trap and fired to the corner of the net on 43 minutes following some good build up play from the Cobras.There were a few chances at either end in the second half, with both ‘keepers making two point-blank saves each. Brendan Mc Geady came closest to pulling a goal back for Dunlewey when he showed the quality of his left boot with a shot which crashed against the crossbar on 65 minutes.Team effort from Dunlewey, with a phenomenal team display of commitment from the Copany side, with every player playing their part in an outstanding win.Referee: Seamus Mc GroaryFAI Junior CupCappry Rovers 1 Innishvilla 3Cappry Rovers were defeated by a much stronger Innishvilla team in the F.A.I. Junior Cupin Cappry Park on Sunday.Play swung from end to end with both teams playing their hearts out in a good competitive opening period with both defences kept busy.Cappry opened the scoring in the twenty seventh minute when Kevin Mc Glynn fired to the bottom left hand corner of the net past the diving keeper following a cross.The visitors put the pressure on in search of the equaliser but it was Cappry who nearly scored through Malachy Martin but his shot went narrowly wide. Innishvilla got back on level terms in the thirty ninth minute when a shot from close range by Mickey Lynch deceived Benji O’ Meara and finished in the back of the net.The visitors went in front in the forty first minute through Mickey Lynch when the Cappry defence failed to clear their lines and he scored from close range.In the second half Cappry went in search of the equaliser, created a few good chances, one where the ball ran along the goal line but there was no one to finish it. Cappry had another shot which hit the crossbar. The visitors also hit the bar.Cappry threw caution to the wind and played three at the back but were caught in the eighty fifth minute when Mark Murphy beat the off side trap to drill the ball past the advancing O’ Meara in the Cappry goal to seal the game and put the Cork team through to the next round of the cup.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAY 5-1-2013Old Orchard Inn Saturday Division OneGweedore Celtic Reserves               P v P                   Glencar CelticGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoCranford United Reserves               P v P                   Downtown UnitedDowntown Cup Group AErne Wanderers                                5 v 1                   Milford United ReservesGlenea United Reserves                   9 v 0                   Tullyvinney RoversDowntown Cup Group BKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves        2  v 2                   Donegal Town ReservesDowntown Cup Group CDeele Harps                                     P v P                   Gweedore United ReservesGlenree United Reserves                 2 v 4                   Ramelton MarinersFAI Junior CupRichmond FC                                   3 v 2                   Keadue RoversSUNDAY  6-1-2013Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionMilford United                                0 v 3                   Rathmullan CelticKilmacrennan Celtic                         5 v 1                   Dunkineely CelticGweedore Celtic                              0 v 1                   Lifford CelticCastlefin Celtic                                P v P                   Glenea UnitedWatson Hire Division OneArranmore United                            0 v 4                   Curragh AthleticBallybofey United                           1 v 1                   Raphoe TownDonegal Town                                             3 v 1                   Drumoghill FCCranford United                               1 v 1                   Eany CelticCT Ball Division TwoKerrykeel ’71 F.C.                           3 v 2                   Convoy ArsenalCopany Rovers                                4 v 0                   Dunlewy CelticFAI Junior CupCappry Rovers                                1 v 3                   InnishvillaTOTAL FOOTBALL: DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE, EVERY MATCH REPORT, EVERY SCORE was last modified: January 6th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:EVERY MATCHEVERY SCORETOTAL FOOTBALL: DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUElast_img read more

Pirates vie for Africa greatness

first_imgFirst round Zanaco (Zambia) 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 Second round TP Mazembe (DR Congo) 3-1, 0-1, 3-2 Group stage AC Leopards (DR Congo) 0-0 (h) Al Ahly (Egypt) 3-0 (a) Zamalek (Egypt) 4-1 (h) Zamalek (Egypt) 1-2 (a) AC Leopards (DR Congo) 0-1 (a) Al Ahly (Egypt) 0-0 (h) Preliminary round Djabal Club (Comoros) 5-0, 4-0, 9-0center_img Semi-finals Esperance (Tunisia) 0-0, 1-1, 1-1 (won on away goals) 1 November 2013 Orlando Pirates, who face Egypt’s Al Ahly in the first leg of the CAf Champions League final at Orlando Stadium in Soweto on Saturday, will be attempting to follow in the footsteps of the great Pirates side of 1995 – the only South African team to have won the African Champions League. The current team has resembled its predecessors by producing impressive results away from home, going against the grain to achieve the away wins and draws, which are traditionally exceptionally hard to come by in African competition. In fact, when the Buccaneers claimed the trophy in 1995, they also did it the hard way, drawing 2-2 with Asec Abidjan of the Ivory Coast in Soweto in the first leg of the final, before winning 1-0 away from home to come out on top 3-2 on aggregate. A fearsome test Pirates face a fearsome test in the 2013 final against Al Ahly, a team that the Confederation of African Football (Caf) named the “African Club of the Century” in 2000. With seven Caf Champions League titles to its name, Al Ahly is the most successful club in the history of the competition. It has also won a record 36 Egyptian Premier League titles, won the bronze medal in the Fifa Club World Cup in 2006, and placed fourth in the competition in 2012. However, Roger De Sa’s charges are unlikely to be overwhelmed by the task at hand, even though the task awaiting them is likely to be much tougher than it was in the group stages, when they faced Al Ahly during Ramadan, while the players were fasting, and in front of an empty stadium due to political unrest in Egypt. That’s what the 3-0 result in that game will do for players. Feet on the ground An impressive 4-1 victory over Al Ahly’s arch-rivals Zamalek will also serve as a confidence-booster for the Soweto giants, but a 1-2 defeat to the same side in Egypt and a goalless draw against Al Ahly at the Orlando Stadium will ensure that the South African club’s players keep their feet on the ground. On their way to the final, a victory over Democratic Republic of Congo powerhouse TP Mazembe, who appeared in the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2012, was a particular highlight and the kind of victory from which players grow. There were some who believed the Congolese would end the Buccaneers’ run, but a goal from Onyekachi Okonkwo in the second minute sent them on their way to a 3-1 victory in Soweto as Collins Mbesuma added a double. Away from home, however, Pirates were able to overcome the dark side of football in Africa, losing 1-0 on the day, but progressing 3-2 on aggregate, despite having to put up with multiple nasty hurdles. It began with the television broadcast of the match, which was cut just before kick-off in Lubumbashi. Then, during the game, Pirates captain Lucky Lekgwathi was shown a dubious red card and Mazembe were controversially awarded two penalties. Goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa, however, stood firm, saving both spot kicks to steer the Sea Robbers into the group stages of Africa’s premier club competition.Semi-final victory The side’s semi-final victory over Tunisia’s Esperance was also a notable feat. The Blood and Gold had in the previous three seasons won the Champions League in 2011 and finished as runners-up in 2010 and 2012. In the first leg of the semi-finals, they played a very defensive game in Soweto and managed to hold Pirates to a goalless draw. De Sa’s charges used that result to their advantage, however, and by scoring an away goal they effectively forced Esperance to score two goals to win the game in Tunisia. They could not, and the 1-1 draw saw the South African club into the final on the away goals rule. Character-building Such character-building results will have shown the Pirates players that they have it within them to capture the Caf Champions League title again. South Africans football fans, including fans who normally have allegiance to other clubs, appear to have rallied behind the Buccaneers. The common view is that a victory for Pirates would be a victory for South Africa. The Soweto club has displayed impressive maturity during the Champions League competition to undo the traditional dominance of teams from central and north Africa. A victory, though, is needed to round off the job and boost South Africa’s Premier Soccer League.Bring on the football!Pirates’ path to the finallast_img read more

Tax watchdog warns the GM closure is a sign governments shouldnt give

first_imgCALGARY (660 NEWS) – While some people in Alberta say the federal government should help out the oil and gas industry, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) says the General Motors closure should act as a warning signal that corporate bailouts don’t work.CTF Federal Director Aaron Wudrick said while it is difficult to watch some major corporations struggle, that doesn’t mean the government should be picking which ones to invest in.“I certainly don’t blame folks in Alberta for saying ‘why will you bail out Bombardier? Why will you bailout the auto sector? But you won’t bailout the oilsands?’ I think the answer is that you can’t afford to bail anyone out.”He noted some of the regionalism that comes into play when corporations are bailed out in eastern Canada.“People rightfully start to get upset when they see one communities company getting saved, and then when something happens in their community there is no help, it strikes them as unfair. They are right, it is unfair.”When govts bail out Bombardier but not Blackberry; when they help automakers but not the oilsands; when they deem some companies worthy of taxpayer life support while letting others die; they are not just distorting our economy for the worse – they are sowing regional divisions.— Aaron Wudrick (@awudrick) November 26, 2018He is not, however, advocating for governments to do nothing about these layoffs.“I think it is entirely appropriate for governments to concern themselves with how do we help people who affected, but that is very different from bailing out the company.”He believes a few things could help the country.“What we can do is try and create business environments with streamlined regulations and lower taxes that attract all industries and have a level playing field,” he said. “You can look at ways to retrain people, you can look at ways to create an environment where you are confident that you are going to attract new work so that you are not so concerned about one particular company going under.”last_img read more