The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles Is Criticizing An Indiana Law Firm

first_imgThe Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is criticizing an Indiana law firmOlivia Covington for www.theindianalawyer.comThe Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is criticizing an Indiana law firm for a court order the BMV says will “take money out of Hoosiers’ pockets,” but the attorney who filed the order said the request is meant to protect Hoosiers who are suing the BMV.The BMV announced Friday that an additional $28.75 million in overcharge refunds had been credited to roughly 5 million customers across Indiana. The announcement came after a class-action lawsuit, Tammy Raab v. Kent W. Abernathy and the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, was filed against the bureau after it was discovered that it had been overcharging millions of customers for several years.Although former BMV commissioner Donald Snemis said in 2014 that all previous overcharges had been refunded, the proceedings in the lawsuit later revealed that there were hundreds of other overcharges that had not been refunded. Because of the efforts of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit and their legal counsel, a common fund of roughly $30 million was created to credit the refunds to BMV customers, said Irwin Levin, a managing partner at Cohen & Malad LLP Indianapolis and lead counsel in the suit against the BMV.The BMV said Friday that the refunds were credited to customers’ accounts over the last few months and that the credits could either be put toward a BMV transaction or sent to customers as a check.However, in a court order filed by Levin in Marion Superior Court Friday morning, counsel for the plaintiffs wrote that the BMV was administering refunds through the common fund without notice or approval from the court. Further, the counsel wrote that because their efforts had led to the creation of the common fund, the BMV is required to set aside part of those funds to reimburse the members of the class-action suit and pay for the fees incurred during the litigation process — an amount that is already exceeding $1 million, Levin said.If the BMV continues to distribute the refunds without accounting for the attorney fees, then Levin said the plaintiffs in the suit will be forced to bear a disproportionate amount of those fees. Thus, Levin and his firm are seeking a preliminary injunction to require the BMV to set aside a portion of the common fund for attorney fees. The plaintiffs have not determined the exact amount of fees it will request to be reimbursed for, but the order Levin filed on Friday said it will not exceed one-third of the fund.“By cashing in credits without setting aside any amount for fees and costs of the litigation that resulted in the creation of the common fund, defendants are creating irreparable harm to the members of the Class who do not have their credits cashed in before the judgment in this case, because those Class members will be left to shoulder a disproportionate share of the expenses incurred in the litigation that resulted in the common fund,” the court filing said.Adam Krupp, chief legal counsel for the BMV, took aim at the court order and at Levin, in particular, on Friday, saying in a statement through the BMV that the actions Levin requested through the preliminary injunction would essentially be the same as taking money away from Hoosier taxpayers.“BMV has been issuing refunds since before the current lawsuit, which Mr. Levin claimed was filed to benefit BMV’s customers. Mr. Levin also claimed to be representing the best interests of Hoosier taxpayers,” Krupp said. “It is stunning and inappropriate for Mr. Levin, or any lawyer, while claiming to represent Hoosiers’ best interests, to directly seek to take money out of Hoosiers’ pockets.”But Levin dismissed Krupp’s accusations, saying that he is not trying to take money out of taxpayers’ pockets or stop them from receiving their refunds. He also said he was not taking the attacks personally, but instead said Krupp’s words come from a place of being caught red-handed.“The BMV was caught with its pants down,” Levin said. “You would hope that they would say, ‘Wow, we made a mistake,’ but they didn’t.”Levin also said he thinks the timing of the refunds raises a red flag – the refunds were announced on Sept. 9, less than three weeks before the start of the trial on Sept. 28.“The BMV has been at war with its customers since 2013, and they now know that the trial is only weeks away,” he said. “This is an example of government at its worst.”FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

Results of the 21st Round of the BH Premier League

first_imgIn the derby encounter of the 21st round of the Premier League of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Siroki Brijeg and Borac from Banja Luka, played a match without goals at the stadium Pecara.Siroki Brijeg is on the right way to win a new title of the champion of BiH, but results in the last two rounds could stop them in achieving that goal.Olimpic and Velez played at the stadium Otoka in Sarajevo, and the guest from Sarajevo won three points thanks to Muharemovic, who scored a goal from the free kick in the 35th minute.Zeljeznicar won three points against Drina from Zvornik at the stadium Grbavica. Payers of Zeljeznicar scored two goals in the first half and scorers were Beganovic in the 31st minute and Bogdanovic in the 35th minute of the match.The defender of the champion title, Zrinjski, defeated Sloboda in Mostar with the result of 1:0. Scepanovic scored the only goal in that match in the 73rd minute.Celik defeated Mladost at the stadium Bilino Polje, with the goal of Dedic in the 60th minute, while Slavija was better than Zvijezda from Gradacac with a result of 2:1.(Source: sutra.ba)last_img read more

Around Whittier

first_imgas Norwalk man HACIENDA HEIGHTS – A burned body discovered in Hacienda Heights earlier this week was that of a 47-year-old Norwalk man, sheriff’s detectives said Thursday. Detective Donna Cheek said the victim, whose name was withheld pending notification of his relatives, was last seen by his family on Saturday. Firefighters discovered the body early Sunday after they put out a small fire on the side of Turnbull Canyon Road, south of Blue Sky Road. Firefighters thought it was a mannequin and told county public works workers to remove it along with debris from the fire. A closer look in the morning light Monday revealed that it was a corpse. Tax assistance offered at center LA MIRADA – Trained volunteers are now offering free federal and state income tax assistance through April 11 at the La Mirada Activity Center, 13810 La Mirada Blvd. Senior income tax assistance is available from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday and Wednesday. Low-income tax assistance is available from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays. No appointment is necessary. All help is on a first-come, first-served basis. Taxpayers should bring the tax instruction booklets they received in the mail, all records of income and deductions, statements showing interest and dividends, a copy of last year’s tax return, W-2, W-2P and 1099 forms and any other pertinent records. For more information, call (562) 902-3160 or visit www.cityoflamirada.org. Blood pressure checks offered LA MIRADA – A physician from Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital will provide information to seniors on how to deal with high blood pressure at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at the La Mirada Activity Center, 13810 La Mirada Blvd. Participants will learn the proper ways to manage high blood pressure and be able to answer questions of the doctor. For more information, call (562) 902-3160 or visit www.cityoflamirada.org. Man sentenced for sexual assault POMONA – A West Covina man who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a special-education student at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut was sentenced Thursday to three years in state prison. Lloyd Carlton Summerville, 26, was apprehended in October while on parole for federal crimes involving identity theft. A DNA sample was taken from Summerville and it matched evidence from the Dec. 4, 2000, rape of a severely disabled woman attending classes at Mt. SAC. The victim was approached during a break and directed to an isolated staircase, where she was attacked, police said. – From staff reports 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PICO RIVERA – A man was hospitalized with wounds to his head Wednesday night after being robbed and beaten by two youths who attacked him with skateboards and a glass bottle, sheriff’s officials said. After grabbing the food the victim was carrying, two males believed to be 16 or 17 years old struck the man with skateboards and hit him on the head with a glass vodka bottle, sheriff’s Pico Rivera Station Lt. Christopher Reed said. The 19-year-old victim’s injuries were “fairly serious,” but not believed to be life-threatening, Reed said. He was taken to a hospital where he received stitches, he added. Burned body ID’d last_img read more