Student senate votes to increase club funding

first_imgAfter struggling for weeks to reach a compromise, the student senate passed a resolution Monday evening to increase funding for student clubs and organizations by approximately $30,000. The new resolution will cut three percent of the budget for Student Union organizations — including the class councils and the Student Union Board — and reallocate it to other student clubs.Student body president Gates McGavick and vice president Corey Gayheart, both seniors who promised to increase club funding during their campaign last year, were instrumental in pushing the resolution through the senate.“This is a really important day for clubs and student organizations,” McGavick said in a comment after the meeting. “We reached a compromise that worked for everyone, and I know I can speak for Corey in saying that we’re really happy to deliver on a campaign promise of ours to give clubs more money.”The student senate has been discussing the issue of club funding for over a month. Many student leaders have argued in previous meetings that student organizations are strapped for funds.Diversity chair, senior Alyssa Ngo, previously told the senate that diversity clubs, such as the Asian American Association, are struggling financially. Ngo argued that increased club funding would help support these clubs’ diversity initiatives on campus.Six weeks prior, the senate voted on — and rejected — the same resolution. McGavick and Gayheart negotiated for weeks with the resolution’s opponents and reached a final agreement for Monday’s meeting.Opponents originally had two main concerns: financial transparency and budget cuts. McGavick and Gayheart developed two new resolutions to resolve these concerns.The first resolution addressed the financial transparency of the Club Coordination Council (CCC), the student organization responsible for allocating annual funding to student clubs. The CCC oversees a budget of about $340,000, which it distributes between the more than 400 student organizations on campus, according to CCC sophomore vice-president elect Patrick Harris.Senators, notably the representative from Welsh Family Hall, junior Lindsay McCray, originally opposed the funding reallocation because they thought that the CCC lacked financial transparency.McCray, along with Gayheart and CCC president, senior Samantha Scaglione, co-authored a resolution to increase the CCC’s transparency, which passed unanimously during Monday’s meeting. “CCC took that [feedback] to heart … And we decided that we want to be more transparent directly to the senate,” Harris said.Although student government leaders easily resolved the concerns about the CCC’s transparency, they clashed over the second legislative compromise, which addressed the concerns of Student Union representatives.Student Union leaders had previously opposed the reallocation because they worried that the budget cuts could jeopardize their mission. In response, they crafted a resolution that revised the budgetary process.The Financial Management Board, which has nine voting members — including all four class council treasurers — votes on the budgets for student clubs. The FMB could traditionally pass this budget with a simple majority of five voting members.Class council presidents were worried that their voices could be ignored by a simple majority vote, so they proposed an amendment requiring that the budget pass with a two-thirds majority.“[The amendment] ensures that the three percent that gets transferred over will be more equitable, with more people being on board,” Michael Conlon, president of the Senior Class Council, said.But other student government leaders were skeptical of this change, which would empower the four class council leaders to veto a budget they dislike. Critics argued that this change could potentially allow class council leaders to derail the budgetary process.“The system as it currently stands is not broken. … Why would we change something that’s not broken to implement something that could go wrong?” Harris said.McGavick and Gayheart, however, dismissed these concerns.“This is a very minor procedural edit. … It’s what is the missing piece in the opportunity that we all have to give clubs thousands of more dollars,” McGavick said.Ultimately, the second resolution passed, causing Student Union leaders to fully support the budget reallocation. The increased club funding marks a major legislative victory for McGavick and Gayheart, whose term ends on April 1.“Never doubt your ability to impact someone’s experience here,” Gayheart said.Tags: Club Coordination Council, club funding, Notre Dame Student Senate, Senatelast_img read more

NBA Draft 2019: Kyle Guy declares, open to returning to Virginia

first_imgBeyond blessed. Very excited for this journey. 5 out ❤️ Thanks to everyone who had a hand in this!!! pic.twitter.com/EBSspocjcj— Kyle J Guy (@kylejguy5) April 16, 2019″I set a goal with my brothers when we committed to UVA. Three years later we accomplished that goal of winning a National Championship,” Guy said in a statement. “I also set a goal for myself to play in the NBA.”(Tuesday) I will be declaring for the 2019 draft and signing with an agent. I am diving into this with two feet to achieve my dream but I will leave the option of coming back to school open.” Another Virginia player has declared for the NBA Draft.Junior guard Kyle Guy announced his decision to leave the Cavaliers early, just a couple weeks after the team won its first NCAA Tournament. Related News WNBA Draft 2019: Aces take Jackie Young No. 1, other prospects followcenter_img Zion Williamson announces he’s entering 2019 NBA Draft Guy is the latest Cavalier to declare for the draft — teammates Ty Jerome and De’Andre Hunter announced their intentions to go pro Monday.Guy was instrumental in Virginia’s run to the national title and racked up 24 points, three rebounds and one steal in the championship against Texas Tech.He averaged 15.4 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists this past season, all career highs.last_img read more

Man went berserk when told his social welfare was being cut off

first_imgA Judge has issued a bench warrant for a man who went berserk when he was told his social welfare payment were being cut off.Martin Nichols was due to appear at Letterkenny District Court in Co Donegal charge with threatening and abusive behaviour. Garda Harvey Maughan told the court that Nicols, aged 38, from Meadowbank, Letterkenny, became irate when told his payments would have to be cut off in the short-term.He picked up a chair at the Community Welfare Office at Oliver Plunkett Road on June 25th last and began waving it around in front of children and then began to abuse Garda Harvey.Garda Harvey said “He shouted ‘You can’t f**ing do that” and “I’m not afraid of the f****ing guards” before he picked up a chair and began waving it.“There were a number of families including children there as well as staff members. I decided to arrest him as the situation may have escalated.”The court heard that Nichols has 47 previous convictions.Judge Paul Kelly issued a bench warrant for the court to sentence the accused.Man went berserk when told his social welfare was being cut off was last modified: March 26th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ChaircourtcutdoleletterkennyMartin Nicholssocial welfarelast_img read more

Story of medieval Malin site to be uncovered under heritage scheme

first_imgThe Old Church at Malin Well has been revealed as one of the newest sites to join the ‘Adopt a Monument Scheme’ by the Heritage Council.The medieval church ruin is located by the sea at Malin Head, the northernmost tip of Donegal. The sacred site has been linked with early Christianity in Inishowen and has long been a place of pilgrimage.This year, the Old Church will benefit from specialist expertise and mentoring under the Adopt a Monument Scheme. The scheme will assist the Malin Well Conservation Group, who are hoping to further research the story of the site and work with professionals to carry out conservation work to ensure the protection of the site.The Adopt a Monument Scheme offers expertise, mentoring and support to communities to help them care for their local heritage. Seven sites in Ireland were chosen from an open public competition this year.The seven sites chosen include:Esker Church, Lucan, Co. DublinMoygara Castle, Co SligoKilkerrin Battery Fort, Co. ClareThe Graves of the Leinstermen, Co. TipperaryMalin Well Old Church, Co. DonegalMoated Site, Ballyogan, Co. KilkennyKilmurry Lime Kiln, Co. ClareSpeaking about the sites chosen, Virginia Teehan, CEO of the Heritage Council said, “While it was originally planned to have just four new sites join the Scheme, we received over 50 applications from energized community groups across Ireland. The enthusiasm of the seven groups shortlisted made it impossible to choose between them. Each of the sites are unique and represent important aspects of Ireland’s heritage. We are really looking forward to working with the communities to uncover the stories of their sites”, added Ms Teehan Featured image credit: Abarta HeritageStory of medieval Malin site to be uncovered under heritage scheme was last modified: June 19th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:adopt a monument schemeHeritage CouncilMalin Headold church malin welllast_img read more

Chelsea v Norwich: Hazard on the bench

first_imgDemba Ba starts up front for Chelsea against Norwich, who are without Joseph Yobo and Anthony Pilkington.Eden Hazard is among the Blues substitutes, while there are starting places for Frank Lampard, Andre Schurrle and Mohamed Salah.Chelsea: Schwarzer; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Lampard, Matic; Salah, Willian, Schurrle; Ba.Subs: Hilario, Kalas, Luiz, Van Ginkel, Hazard, Torres, Eto’o.Norwich Ruddy; Martin, R Bennett, Turner, Whittaker; Tettey; Snodgrass, Johnson, Howson, Olsson; Elmander.Subs: Bunn, Bassong, Van Wolfswinkel, Fer, Hooper, E Bennett, Redmond.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img

Rookie bull rider impresses fans in Cheyenne

first_imgCHEYENNE >> A big arena, notorious bucking bulls and a legendary rodeo didn’t intimidate bull rider Roscoe Jarboe.Jarboe is competing at his very first Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo and has become the first and only man to ride two bulls; and he did it with style. The New Plymouth, Idaho, resident is currently in his rookie year of competition in the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association where he is second in those standings. He is also 14th in the world standings.He had his first bull here …last_img

Feeding Farmers Fall 2019 stop one with Paul Neff

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The first stop of the Ohio Ag Net/ WIMT T102 Fall Feeding Farmers Tour stopped in Allen County at the Farm of Paul Neff. Dale Minyo talked with Paul about the history of the farm and the struggles everyone faced this past year.  Like most, Paul had a late planting season with even later replanting.last_img

Manchester United F.C. appoint Michael Carrick as captain

first_imgFollowing former Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney’s exit to his childhood club Everton, the former English Premier League (EPL) champions have named veteran England footballer Michael Carrick as their new captain.”Michael Carrick is the new captain of Manchester United,” the club announced in a statement on Tuesday.The 35-year-old, who has made 314 appearances for Manchester United, said he never thought of achieving so much with the club.”It feels great and it is such a huge honour to captain such a great club, It is my 12th year now and I came as a 25-year-old. I never thought I could be here for so long and achieve so much,” Carrick said.”Now, to lead the boys and look after the young boys, to guide them in some ways, it is a nice thing and a real pleasure. I came to this club as a footballer and I am now a huge fan. I have grown to love the club over the years and to be in this position is very special for me,” he added.Having won the English Premier League title five times with Manchester United since 2006, Michael admitted he would like to lead his team by example.”I am not like that. I will speak when I need to speak, but I am quite laid back and chilled out really. I will try to lead by example” he said.Carrick has also won the Community Shield six times and Champions League and Europa League once each with the club.advertisementWatch our new captain’s reaction! Celebrate the news with a night of @Carras16 programming on #MUTV: https://t.co/fXisAc1Uuy pic.twitter.com/aWK4yL9y2j- Manchester United (@ManUtd) July 11, 2017last_img read more

10 months agoMan City striker Gabriel Jesus delighted to be back on scoresheet

first_imgMan City striker Gabriel Jesus delighted to be back on scoresheetby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City striker Gabriel Jesus was delighted with his brace for victory over Everton.The opener marked the striker’s first Premier League goal since August.”I tried [to score a hat-trick] but it is difficult,” said Gabriel.”I am so happy with the performance of the team. Everton have amazing players.”They played very well. I am so happy because of this. We played very well and won the game.”My confidence is back because my family is here and it helps me a lot. I need my family in this moment.”This year it [the title] will be more difficult because the clubs will play better. I think it is very important we have come back to first position.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more