Journalists physically attacked outside high court hearing in Lahore

first_img News News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists Follow the news on Pakistan Organisation Receive email alerts Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Help by sharing this information News Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire PakistanAsia – Pacific center_img News RSF_en PakistanAsia – Pacific August 10, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalists physically attacked outside high court hearing in Lahore January 28, 2021 Find out more to go further April 21, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders condemns the use of physical violence by lawyers against journalists that took place outside a high court hearing in Lahore on 6 August in which lawyers were being tried for an earlier case of violence against the press.“These attacks are unacceptable from very standpoint,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Firstly, they are clearly reprisals against journalists who were just doing their job. Secondly, they were carried out by people who represent the law in the very place where it is supposed to be enforced. And finally, the journalists were attacked by lawyers during a trial of lawyers for similar attacks on 30 July. These recurrences must stop at once.”The press freedom organisation added: “Although the heads of bar associations have said there will be consequences for those responsible for this violence, we support the journalists organisations that have said they must be tried according to Pakistan’s laws.”The case being tried by the Lahore high court chief justice on 6 August concerned an attack by lawyers on Nasir Masood and reporter Shaheen Atiq of C-42 television a week earlier. The hearing was brought to an end when a group of lawyers began shouting at journalists in court.Lawyers led by Lahore bar association vice-president M.R. Awan then attacked reporters and cameramen outside the courthouse and threw stones at various TV crew vehicles, smashing Geo TV cameraman A.R. Adnan’s camera and damaging other equipment.The earlier attack on the C-42 journalists took place when they filmed lawyers assaulting a policeman. These attacks can be seen in a Geo TV report posted on YouTubeSee the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ3kvZeUhw June 2, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Freelance journalist Carmelo Díaz Fernández released

first_img Help by sharing this information to go further News Organisation RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago June 21, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Freelance journalist Carmelo Díaz Fernández released Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet CubaAmericas RSF_en News CubaAmericas News News May 6, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council October 15, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Cuba Carmelo Díaz Fernández is the first of 27 journalists arrested during the “black spring” of March 2003 to be released from prison. After 15 months in prison he was granted a special form of release for health reasons. He had been sentenced to 15 years in jail in April 2003. Reporters Without Borders has welcomed the 18 June release of freelance journalist Carmelo Díaz Fernández, for health reasons, after 15 months in prison. But the international press freedom organisation pointed out that Fernández “should never have been imprisoned in the first place, because all he did was exercise his right to free expression. We hold the Havana authorities responsible for his state of health,” it added.The organisation strongly condemned the state monopoly on news imposed by the Fidel Castro government and called for the release of the 27 journalists still in prison.Cuba is, with China, the largest prison in the world for journalists. Castro is slated by Reporters Without Borders as one of the world’s 37 “predators” of press freedom.Fernández was released, with another dissident who was arrested and sentenced with him in March 2003. The journalist was granted a permission to leave prison equivalent to house arrest, for health reasons. The 67-year-old, who has serious heart problems, told Agence France Presse (AFP) that he hoped to get a visa to emigrate to the United States where some family members already live.He was arrested overnight on 19 March 2003 during the Cuban “black spring” crackdown that saw 75 opposition figures arrested then sentenced to jail terms ranging from six to 28 years. He was sentenced at the beginning of April to 15 years in jail for his trade union and freelance journalism that was held to be “counter-revolutionary”. Fernández, who was in good health before his arrest, began to suffer from high blood pressure when he was held while awaiting trial at the headquarters of State Security in Villa Marista.Six months after his sentence an echocardiogram carried out at the insistence of his daughter, herself a doctor, led to the discovery of an abnormality in heart function that required surgery. On 15 December 2003, he was transferred from Guanajay Prison in Havana to the prison hospital of Combinado del Este, in Havana Province.A Christian activist, Fernández is editor of the Cuban Independent Trade Union Press Agency (APSIC), an executive board member of the Unitary Council of Cuban workers (CUTC) and president of the banned Christian Trade Union, founded in 1995. He devoted himself to the national centre for trade union training and the right to work. He was written numerous articles about Cuban education, economy and society on the sites cubanet.org and cartadecuba.org and is correspondent in Cuba for the Venezuelan magazine Desafios. A total of eight dissidents have been released since the start of year, two of them journalists. Four of them were from among the group of 75.Cuba’s “black spring” provoked strong international protest and the European Union reacted by imposing sanctions on the Havana regime.A Freedom Night was held on 18 June in Strasbourg by the local council, Reporters Without Borders and the collective Solidarity Free Cuba for the release of journalist and poet Raúl Rivero and all Cuban dissidents. Those attending included Cuban writer Zoé Valdès and Spanish author Jorge Semprun. more information October 12, 2018 Find out morelast_img read more

Would you trade your Gold Coast home for one in the Whitsundays?

first_imgThe Burleigh Heads home was built on a narrow block.Architect Paul Uhlmann designed the three-level home.The timber property has ocean views from every level, and a special feature on each deck including a firepit, outdoor tub and pool. Each deck has a special feature.Ed Cherry of Sophie Carter Exclusive Properties is marketing the property through an expressions of interest campaign and said there was an offer on the table for Ms Naumoski to swap her Gold Coast residence for a Whitsundays property. The residence is designed to look like it’s floating out of the cliff.“I saw the block 18 months ago when I was hunting for a place to build my dream home,” the mother-of-two told the Gold Coast Bulletin when she showcased the property in August.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North1 hour ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa21 hours agoThe narrow block was previously home to a blue fibro shack; it took eight months for Gold Coast builder Nick McDonald’s team to construct the palatial stilt structure in its place. 45 Hill Ave, Burleigh Heads is on the market.THE owner of the Gold Coast’s first ‘floating house’ has knocked back an offer to swap her Burleigh Heads property for one in the Whitsundays.Cleverly designed to seemingly float out of the cliff, the “dream” property at 45 Hill Ave was built for Rosetta Naumoski, who bought the 405sq m block for $879,000.center_img Homeowner Rose Naumoski at her spectacular Burleigh Heads home with builder Nick McDonald. Picture Glenn Hampson Would you swap a home on the Gold Coast for one here?“There were two offers presented, the other was for a normal sale from a yacht broker from Monaco,” Mr Cherry said.“But the property is definitely back on the market.”last_img read more

Zenith Bank/Delta Principal’s Cup Prelims Begin in 25 LGAs

first_imgThe preliminary matches of the 2019/2020 edition of Zenith Bank/Delta Principal’s Cup football competition will start today in the 25 Local Government Areas of the state.From today, the secondary schools involved in the prelims will battle for places in the main draw of the event which starts with the opening match billed for the Stephen Keshi Stadium Asaba on September 30.The competition which is in its 4th edition is expected to get better in all areas this term as the final is also taking place later in the year and not next year as it was in the last three editions. Delta State’s Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Chief Patrick Ukah, has assured that the tournament would be hitch-free.Ukar said: “The players expected to take part are the leaders of tomorrow and so we want the best for them since this is their foundation in the game.“We are going to try our best to make this an improvement on the last year’s edition.”The Chief Executive Officer of Hideaplus Limited, organisers of the competition, Tony Pemu, said the tournament is wearing new look already.“We normally spill to the next year but this time everything ends this year. We have all the logistics in place to make the competition more interesting,” Pemu saidDickson Egede, Manager Zenith Bank Branch 1 Asaba, said the bank would continue to boost sports in Nigeria.“We are committed to the growth of sports generally and that is why we are pleased with the catch them young policy of the Delta state Government,” he said.About 850 private and public secondary schools have so far registered to participate in this year’s edition of the competition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Mother shares her heart-warming Smile Foundation story

first_imgThe Smile Foundation South Africa, founded in 2000 after a plea from President Nelson Mandela, changed Sylvia Mchunu’s daughter’s life. Sylvia Mchunu and her daughter, Princess who was born with a cleft lip in September 2013. They get free help from the Smile Foundation South Africa that helps children to reconstruct their deformed faces. (Image: Supplied)Melissa JavanPrincess Mchunu was four months old when she went for her first operation. Born with a cleft lip in 2013, the three year old has had a further two operations, and occasionally has food coming out of her nose.Sylvia Mchunu says she had been bleeding a lot and was weak on the day she gave birth to Princess. “They [the hospital staff] took my baby to the nursery [after the birth], because they saw something was wrong.“While every mother around me had their babies [in their arms], I didn’t have mine. They [the hospital staff] didn’t want me to see her. I thought ‘what went wrong?’”She says her husband demanded to see his daughter. “He was the first one to tell me there is something wrong with her.”He took it hard, says Sylvia. “I had sent my family photos of the baby, but he didn’t want to do that for his family. In our culture, some people tend to say things like ‘you have been bewitched’ if something like this happens.“We had to hide the child. He was not comfortable – very reserved. It took him time to accept what’s going on,” she says. “I had to be strong.” This is what a baby looks like shortly after she is born with a cleft lip. (Image: Wikipedia)Joining the Smile FoundationHer husband had suffered a burn injury before Princess was born. His operation was paid for by his employer. “We went to the same doctor who had done his operation after Princess’ birth. He told us that one operation would cost R50 000.“We wouldn’t be able to afford that. We didn’t even have medical aid,” says Sylvia.She and a friend Googled “cleft lip” and came across the Smile Foundation South Africa.The Mchunus met with the Smile Foundation in January 2014. “There was a parent workshop we attended. My husband was the only father there.“They explained everything to us. I felt so good about being there that I forgot there was something wrong with Princess.”Mchunu says she was scared the first time Princess went to theatre in February 2014. The operation took longer than the doctors anticipated. Princess cried a lot after the operation. “We survived it,” says Sylvia.More about the Smile FoundationThe Smile Foundation was founded in 2000 after Thabile Manyathi sent a personal request to then President Nelson Mandela.Manyathi had mailed a letter every month to Nelson Mandela appealing for help for her child, Thando. Born with facial paralysis, Thando needed to travel overseas to have a highly specialised procedure known as facial reanimation surgery.After Mandela found one of Manyathi’s letters, he made a call to the Lubner family. They then later decided to bring the skills home.According to the website, Dr Ron Zucker and Dr Craig Van Der Kolk were invited to South Africa to transfer the skills to South Africa.George Psaras, then the head of Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Witwatersrand, was the first surgeon in the country to learn this very specialised skill.Princess is one of the 2000 beneficiaries Smile Foundation South Africa has helped since 2000. Today the NGO helps children born with facial defects receive free corrective plastic and reconstructive surgery within the country. The organisation is currently based in seven of the nine academic hospitals in South Africa.Watch the Smile Foundation South Africa promo video here:Annually the organisation hosts a Smile Week at different hospitals around the country whereby the children receive surgery. Their parents get support before, during and after the surgeries.Princess is the one in 700 South African children born with a cleft lip or cleft palate. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains the condition: “Cleft lip and cleft palate are birth defects that occur when a baby’s lip or mouth do not form properly during pregnancy. Together, these birth defects commonly are called “orofacial clefts.”The support they getSylvia is also a member of Cleft Friends, a group of parents or guardians of children with cleft lip of palates that have regular gatherings to support each other. “Most of the time the fathers are stressed. You meet them in such a state, but you have to understand their pain and give them time to heal.“It’s wonderful to share experiences. It’s nice that people care about you.”She says you become stronger when you have support. “It becomes easier when you are with the Cleft Friends.“You also get more information the more you meet with them. For instance, sometimes things would be happening to Princess that I don’t know about. Then another mother advises me that it is a normal thing to happen.”Watch Helena Cullis share how she and her husband started the Cleft Friends:Princess is going for a check-up at the end of August, says Sylvia. “There were difficulties during the operation done in November last year. Her palate is not closed yet.”Princess also regularly visits a speech therapist.last_img read more

Competition Bureau reaches anticompetitive agreement with software developer

first_imgOTTAWA – The Competition Bureau says it has reached an agreement with a Canadian developer of travel industry software alleged to have created barriers that prevented its competitors from participating in the marketplace.The bureau says that Softvoyage Inc.’s well-established control of the market for content management software used by most tour operators allegedly saw the company start including exclusivity clauses in its contracts.These exclusivity clauses would then allegedly force tour operators that were using Softvoyage’s software to use only the company’s software for the distribution and sale of their vacation packages, among other claims.The bureau says this created a barrier to entry or prevented the viability of any current or potential competitors in the marketplace.As part of its consent agreement with the bureau, Softvoyage will refrain from enforcing certain clauses or portions of its clauses contained in its contracts with its clients over a period of seven years.The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment.last_img read more

Teck Resources lowers Q1 coal sales guidance works to complete Elkview repairs

first_imgVANCOUVER – Teck Resources Ltd. lowered its guidance for steelmaking coal sales for the first quarter as it worked to finish repairs to its coal drying complex in B.C. that was damaged earlier this year.The company says steelmaking coal sales volumes for the quarter are now expected to be about six million tonnes compared with earlier guidance for 6.3 million to 6.5 million tonnes.The coal dryer at Teck’s Elkview operations was damaged in January in what a union executive described as an explosion.Teck says the coal dryer has been recommissioned after a “pressure event” and full commercial production is expected to resume early next week.Production lost due to the incident was estimated to be about 200,000 tonnes of clean coal and repairs were estimated at less than $10 million, in line with earlier estimates.Teck says coal sales continued to be hurt by logistics issues during the quarter, particularly ongoing poor performance at Westshore Terminals.Companies in this story: (TSX:TECK.B)last_img read more

Supreme Court denies report that two judges met Justice Bobde

first_imgNew Delhi: The Supreme Court denied on Sunday a media report that said justices RF Nariman and DY Chandrachud met Justice SA Bobde who is heading an in-house committee inquiring into the sexual harassment allegations against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi.A statement from the apex court said “this is wholly incorrect” that the two judges met justice Bobde on Friday evening. The statement, which has been issued from the office of the Supreme Court’s secretary general, said that it is most unfortunate that a leading newspaper chose to state that the two judges met Justice Bobde. Further, the statement said that the in-house committee which is deliberating on the issue concerning the CJI deliberates on its own without any input from any other judge of the apex court. A report in a leading newspaper Sunday stated that justices Nariman and Chandrachud had met Justice Bobde and had expressed their view that the three-member committee should not go ahead with the proceeding ex parte. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkThe former woman employee of the apex court, who has levelled the sexual harassment allegations, has opted herself out from participating in the enquiry raising several grievances, including the denial of permission to have her lawyer during the proceedings. The newspaper has stated that justices Nariman and Chandrachud had suggested for the appointment of an advocate as an amicus curiae for assisting the in-house committee. Besides Justice Bobde, other members in the committee are two women judges of the apex court – justices Indu Malhotra and Indira Banerjee.last_img read more