Lance Thomas Says He Did Not Break Rules at

The way former Duke star Lance Thomas sees it is different from how the NCAA did. He says he did not violate NCAA rules when he purchased nearly $100,000 in diamond jewelry during his college career. The NCAA is investigating.Thomas also indicated a willingness to speak with the NCAA about the purchase, which spawned a lawsuit by a New York jeweler and an inquiry by Duke and the NCAA of whether Thomas violated rules pertaining to improper benefits for college athletes.”I’m still working on that, but I’ll eventually speak to them,” Thomas said.Thomas has settled the lawsuit which claimed he owed nearly $68,000 to Rafaello & Co. for a purchase made during Duke’s 2009-10 national championship season. However, he said some legal details still must be worked out, after which he expects to be more willing to meet with the NCAA and comment publicly in more detail about the matter.”I do feel bad that was something that was just lingering around the university,” Thomas said. ”But everything’s going to get taken care of the right way and I hope the coaching staff and the whole university knows that those were the best four years of my life.””Everything will come out,” he added. ”But it will come out on the better end, hopefully.”The lawsuit, filed in January in Austin, Texas, said Thomas owed $67,800 for five pieces of jewelry he purchased at a cost of $97,800. The invoice, dated Dec. 21, 2009, indicates that Thomas made a $30,000 down payment and agreed to pay the balance in 15 days.Thomas started 39 games at forward for Duke in 2009-2010, his senior season, including the 61-59 victory over Butler in the NCAA championship game.The NCAA has declined to comment on the settlement and what it might mean in terms of investigating the matter. NCAA rules require student-athletes and personnel at member schools to cooperate with the organization’s inquiries, but there’s nothing to compel people who aren’t affiliated with those schools to do so.Thomas wasn’t drafted by an NBA team when he left Duke. Thomas was playing last season for the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League when the suit was filed. He was later called up to New Orleans, for whom he appeared in 42 games, averaging 4 points and 3 rebounds in about 15 minutes per game last season.Rafaello & Co., which also does business as A+A Diamonds Ltd., promotes itself as a jeweler that caters to professional athletes and other celebrities. On its website, the jeweler says its customers include actor Jamie Foxx, singer Alicia Keys and New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony.The firm filed a similar lawsuit against Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant last year, asserting that he owed $240,000 for jewelry he purchased between January and May 2010. The purchases occurred after Bryant had left Oklahoma State and was waiting for the NFL draft. read more

Administration Misses Opportunity to Close Guantánamo Prison McCain Says

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Obama administration’s failure to complete a detailed plan for closing the military prison at Guantánamo Bay has cost it a prime opportunity for gaining Congress’ assent to transfer detainees to a U.S. facility, John McCain (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said this week.McCain, who supports closing Guantánamo, intended to include language in the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill permitting the detention facility’s closure if the White House submitted a proposal that passed congressional muster. But despite its promise months ago, the administration failed to deliver a closure plan before conferees finished putting together the conference report for the annual defense policy bill, which was unveiled on Tuesday.If conferees had been able to see the plan and agreed with it “we would’ve put into the bill,” McCain said. “If the administration complains about the provisions on Guantánamo, it’s their fault because they never came forward with a plan, that we probably could’ve supported, to get rid of this issue,” he said, reported Defense One.“We acted as we had to, without any plan or blueprint from the administration,” McCain added.Instead, the bill returns to a stricter standard that would freeze the remaining population at Guantánamo for at least the next year. The legislation would prohibit the transfer of detainees to the United States, or the construction or modification of facilities in the United States for housing the detainees.In place of McCain’s initial plan for providing a pathway to closure, the final version of the authorization bill would require DOD to submit a plan within 90 days on the current and future detention of individuals, including a “specific facility or facilities that are intended to be used” for holding detainees, reported CQ.“The conferees expect that discussion to include an explanation of the department’s plan for the disposition of all detainees held at Guantanamo, on a case-by-case basis, and the costs associated with each element of that plan,” according to the conference report.A senior administration official said the White House strongly opposes language in the defense authorization bill that would “impede efforts to close” the Guantanamo detention center and said its closure plan will be ready soon.last_img read more

Mayursinh Vijubha Jadeja a man of making ideas happen

first_imgStart where you are, use what you have – Mayursinh Vijubha Jadeja also known as Mayurdhvaj Jadeja belongs to the city of Rajkot, Gujarat. His father represented the Indian Army in Kargil War and won the Sena medal, given this attribute, Mayurdhvaj held 1st position in NCC rifle shooting competitions and many other rifle shooting sessions, he is also known as a highly driven sport enthusiast who plays like he is in first and trains like he is in second.It is even more interesting when we come across how Mayursinh influenced much youth through his lifestyle and achievements. This public influencer has a unique and pleasing sense of fashion which makes him a role model for the youth, as a result, many brands approached for collaborations. Daniel Wellington, Mountwell India and many other brands amongst his collaborations which are well renowned. Jadeja also manages a business estate all by himself which his father started in 2001- Shree Raj Group of Industries runs many trusts and its a leading company in security services and food, beverages.Not only a successful entrepreneur and sports enthusiast, Mayursinh is much more added to it, being a style icon for the youth, he has paved his path towards effective blogging and styling tips for the mass. The more we unfold about this gentleman, we discover a new dimension of his life. Kindness is a wonderful way to let a struggling soul know that there is still love in this world, Jadeja along with Shree Raj Group has initiated drives for the needy, worked towards various causes, observed blood camp etc for the good of the society and to extend a helping hand to the needy.IBT does not endorse any of the above content.last_img read more

Relish the king of fruits this summer

first_imgSummer is the time to drool over mangoes and to feast over their succulent flavours. The level of excitement increases manifold when this most loved summer fruit rules the South East Asian palate. The oomph of this most sought after fruit has been relished over two decades with chef Veena’s ‘Summer Collection Menu’ at The Spice Route, The Imperial, New Delhi, until July 31 from 12:30pm to 2:45pm and 7pm to 11:45pm.The whiff of newness reflects now in this season’s menu featuring Chef’s selections and creations inspired from the regions of Kerala, Srilanka Thailand and Vietnam. Under the umbrella cuisine of The Spice Route, the menu promises to steal hearts with specialties put together with ripe or raw mangoes, complemented with Chef’s specials. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfThe summer fruit comes alive in ‘Yum Mamu Ang Kung Krob’– a spicy raw mango salad with dry shrimp and battered fried prawns, ‘Maambalam Okrathoren’– wok fried lady fingers with kerela spices and sliver of raw mango, ‘Tom Som Mamuang’ and a lot more. The chef has perfectly balanced spices with mango in all her offerings, for a heavenly treat.”The ‘Summer Collection menu’ has been close to my heart since the time The Spice Route opened doors, and invoked timelessness for me, each time I started planning it. The name takes inspiration from the fashion fraternity and the menu is whipped up to dish out something unique for the patrons from the landmark kitchen of this world famous South East Asian restaurant,” said Chef De Cuisine Veena Arora. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveTalking about the choice of fruit, she said, “The interesting raw and ripe mango based recipes are refreshing like a celebration of the season. Most of them are my own creations, wonderfully complemented by rice, chicken, prawns, sole fish, veggies and exotic spices.Also as I hail from Thailand, I want to reflect the love of blending Thai cuisine with fruits, in my menu. That is the reason the complete menu revolves around mango, the favourite summer fruit.”last_img read more

ESET Scientists reveal Fancy Bears first documented use of UEFI rootkit targeting

first_imgESET researchers stated that they have found evidence that ‘Fancy Bear’ (Russia-backed hackers group) is using ‘LoJax’ malware to target certain government organizations in Europe. This research was presented on Thursday at the 2018 Microsoft BlueHat conference. This is the first case of a UEFI rootkit recorded as ‘active’ and still in use. The researchers have not explicitly named the governments that have been targeted. They have only stated that the hackers were active in targeting the Balkans and some central and eastern European countries. This attempt to target european governments is another one of Fancy Bears tactics after hacking into the Democratic National Committee. The hackers had previously targeted senators, social media sites, the French presidential elections, and leaked Olympic athletes’ confidential medical files, which demonstrates their hacking abilities. The LoJax UEFI rootkit LoJax is known for its brutal persistence in making it challenging to remove from a system. It embeds itself in the computer’s firmware and launches when the OS boots up. Sitting in a computer’s flash memory,  LoJax consumes time, effort and extreme care to reflash the memory with a new firmware. In May 2018, Arbor Networks suggested that this Russian hacker group was utilizing Absolute Software’s ‘LoJack‘– a legitimate laptop recovery solution- for unscrupulous means. Hackers tampered with the samples of the LoJack software and programmed it to communicate with a command-and-control (C2) server controlled by Fancy Bear, rather than the legitimate Absolute Software server. The modified version was named as LoJax to separate it from Absolute Software’s legitimate solution. LoJax is implemented as a UEFI/BIOS module, to resist operating system wipes or hard drive replacement. This UEFI rootkit was found bundled together with a toolset that was able to patch a victim’s system firmware and install malware at the system’s deepest level. In at least one recorded case, the hackers behind the malware were able to write a malicious UEFI module into a system’s SPI flash memory leading to the execution of malicious code on disk during the boot process. ESET further added that the malicious UEFI module is being bundled into exploit kits which are able to access and patch UEFI/BIOS settings. Alongside the malware, three other tools were found in Fancy Bear’s refreshed kit. A tool that dumps information related to PC settings into a text file A tool to save an image of the system firmware by reading the contents of the SPI flash memory where the UEFI/BIOS is located A tool that adds the malicious UEFI module to the firmware image to write it back to the SPI flash memory. The researchers affirm that the UEFI rootkit has increased the severity of the hacking group. However, there are preventative measures to safeguard your system against this notorious group of hackers. The Fancy Bear’s rootkit isn’t properly signed and hence a computer’s Secure Boot feature could prevent the attack by properly verifying every component in the boot process. This can be switched on at a computer’s pre-boot settings. For more insights on this news, head over to ZDNet. Read Next Microsoft claims it halted Russian spearphishing cyberattacks Russian censorship board threatens to block search giant Yandex due to pirated content UN meetings ended with US & Russia avoiding formal talks to ban AI enabled killer robotslast_img read more

Jamaica will attract its fair share of Canadian travellers this winter says

first_img Travelweek Group “Jamaica will attract its fair share” of Canadian travellers this winter, says JTB’s Pennicook Posted by TORONTO — Like just about every other Caribbean destination this past winter Jamaica had a tough go of it from this market. But the long-time favourite for legions of Canadian travellers is determined to boost its performance here, armed with a solid value proposition and a decades-long reputation for top quality sun vacations, says the Jamaica Tourist Board’s Director of Tourism, Paul Pennicook.“I have every reason to believe we’ll be seeing increases out of Canada this winter and into next year,” said Pennicook. “There’s a bit of decline in lift to Jamaica out of the West, but having said that, we’re seeing an increase in lift from the East”, with Ontario holding strong as Jamaica’s number one market out of Canada, he added.After a year of ‘staycations’ and travel budget cost-cutting Canadian vacationers will finally be looking to take a proper trip and “Jamaica will attract its fair share,” said Pennicook. Many early booking bonuses currently in the market expire Oct. 31, he added. “Jamaica is good value and the EBBs are very attractive this year.”More travellers will be heading to their Jamaican getaways via Kingston, thanks to new highway access across the mountains between Kingston and Ocho Rios. In terms of travel time, “Ocho Rios is now closer to Kingston than Montego Bay,” said Pennicook. “We’re anticipating extremely busy flights from Canada into Montego Bay this winter and agents need to know that, especially if they have clients going into Ocho Rios, Kingston is now an option.”More news:  Le Boat has EBBs along with its new 2020 brochureBoth Air Canada and WestJet have flights into Kingston, he added.Pennicook also addressed the immigration process delays that were causing headaches at Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport. Some two dozen additional immigration officers have been hired and kiosk use has improved, he said. “There were some issues last winter,” he acknowledged.The Jamaica Tourist Board has embarked on an ambitious ‘5 for 5 for 5’ tourism goal, aiming for five million visitors (and tourism earnings worth some US$5 billion) in five years. In 2015 Jamaica welcomed 3.7 million visitors.While Pennicook is well aware of the importance of Canada and the North American market – the U.S. is the island’s number one source market, and Canada number two – he’s also aware that “you can’t keep going back to the same well.” With that in mind the JTB is developing new markets in Latin America, Asia and Eastern Europe.Where will all these new visitors stay? Jamaica’s accommodation lineup runs the gamut from villas and B&Bs to, of course, all-inclusives. The time was right for the arrival of “mega resorts” from the Spanish hotel companies, said Pennicook. “Ten years ago, the largest hotel in Jamaica was the Holiday Inn Montego Bay with 500 rooms.”More news:  CIE Tours launches first-ever River Cruise CollectionHow things have changed: new properties have arrived from RIU – the Hotel Riu Ocho Rios has 856 rooms – and Grand Palladium with 1,000+ rooms.New resorts coming to the island this year and next include RIU Reggae in Montego Bay (450 rooms), Royalton Blue Waters (230 rooms), Azul Seven in Negril (150 rooms) and a Royal Decameron (160 rooms).In total some 1,200 new rooms are coming onstream, said Pennicook. And over the next two to two and a half years, 1,800 new rooms will be built as part of Karisma’s massive new resort project between Ocho Rios and Runaway Bay. Karisma’s $900 million ‘Sugar Cane’ will eventually comprise 5,000 new rooms in a 10-year construction project.“If we didn’t get those larger resorts and those chains, we would not have grown to the extent that we have,” said Pennicook. In a short period of time the Canadian market has grown from 160,000 to 420,000 visitors per year, he added. << Previous PostNext Post >>center_img Share Thursday, September 1, 2016 Tags: Jamaicalast_img read more

Sunwing Travel Group Planet Hollywood join forces for 2 new luxury allinclusive

first_img Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >> TORONTO — Sunwing Travel Group has signed a blockbuster of a deal with Planet Hollywood, with plans for two resorts in Mexico and Costa Rica, and more resorts to come.Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Costa Rica will open in Fall 2018 and Planet Hollywood Resort Cancun will open in late Spring 2019.The two properties mark Planet Hollywood’s first foray into the in-demand luxury all-inclusive category and will increase the footprint of Planet Hollywood’s hotel operations globally.The Planet Hollywood brand has been positioned as the authority on entertainment and popular culture. Capitalizing on its close celebrity ties and the universal appeal of movies, television, music, and sports, the Planet Hollywood brand has been successful across the gaming, restaurant, lodging, retail, leisure and entertainment sectors.“The Planet Hollywood brand has always been about delivering unique and memorable experiences that translate into lifelong memories for our guests,” said Robert Earl, Planet Hollywood’s Founder and Chairman.More news:  Transat calls Groupe Mach’s latest offer “highly abusive, coercive and misleading”“I am so excited to partner with Sunwing Travel Group and cannot wait to get started with the first spectacular locations in Costa Rica and Cancun. This is the perfect opportunity to bring ‘fame’ a lot closer to all customers by leveraging Sunwing Travel Group’s proven track record of successfully operating and rapidly expanding premier hotel brands.”As master hotel franchisor to the world-renowned Planet Hollywood brand, Sunwing Travel Group intends to establish a dominant position for Planet Hollywood in the luxury accommodation space. In addition to building and operating new resorts, Sunwing Travel Group will offer management services and franchise opportunities to prospective Planet Hollywood Hotels and Resorts worldwide.“Robert Earl is a visionary that knows how to create exciting and engaging experiences,” said Stephen Hunter, President & CEO of Sunwing Travel Group, adding that “it’s all about capturing the little details that others miss.”The new Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Costa Rica will be the first resort under this new agreement, where customers can ‘Vacation like a Star’ and interact with Hollywood memorabilia, enjoy entertainment-themed facilities, purchase popular brand merchandise – and maybe even catch a view of a vacationing starlet. Posted by Sunwing Travel Group, Planet Hollywood join forces for 2 new luxury all-inclusive resortscenter_img Share Tags: Sunwing Thursday, February 22, 2018 last_img read more